A Day in the Life of Madison

Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 10


We have really been working on Madison with her manners. Before, anytime she wanted something, she would do this loud grunt and point to what she wanted. It was after a lot of consistency, but we finally having her saying "please" when she wants something and "thank you" after she receives it. The dilemma is, she thinks that because she says "please" she should be able to get what ever it is she may want.
It is so hard to resist that sweet little voice when she is asking so politely. I think she knows I am a sucker for it too!
We are trying to get her to understand that she can't play with everything mommy and daddy have. For example, tonight, as I was cooking dinner, I had a onion I needed to chop up. I pulled my red cutting knife out of the drawer. The red knife caught Madison's eyes and she came running with her hands out saying, "please," "please," "please." After telling her no repeatedly, and explaining to her why she couldn't play with it, she came and grabbed my leg and kept asking nicely. I knelt down and said, "You can't play with the knife, but you can play with this red dixie up." Oh the joy on her face when I handed her the cup. Then she looked up at me and said, "Thank you!"
To make it even better, I poured my water bottle into a red cup so she could have something like mommy. She played with the cup the entire time I cooked dinner. Every time I would take a sip of my drink she would pretend to take a sip out of hers. SO SWEET!!

1 comment: