A Day in the Life of Madison

Monday, May 2, 2011

We made it to Birmingham last night around 5:00.  I was very worried about whether or not we were going to have a room due to the tornadoes in Tuscaloosa on Wednesday.  We were guaranteed a room because I had made reservations six months ago but because the hotel has a smoking floor and they were at capacity, they couldn't promise us that we wouldn't be on the smoking floor.  Since Madison is on oxygen that wouldn't work.  To make a long story short, we did get a room and we are NOT on the smoking floor!

We always get to know people at the hotel while we are here since we stay for several days at a time.  We have gotten to know several families who have made this hotel their home for the next 30 days.  We have also gotten to know a lot of volunteers who are here to help.  It is so heart warming to see how everyone has come together to help others out, strangers at that. 

After Madison's appointment this morning (which I will get to soon) we decided to take a ride to Tuscaloosa and see some of the damage.  We really didn't think we would get to see a lot since the police have closed off a lot of the area that was hit hard.  As we started approaching where the tornado hit we some a lot of trees and signs down.  When we got the area where the tornado hit we couldn't believe it.  We all got silent and just stared in shock.  I can't even put in to words how bad that damage is.  That tornado was so wide we couldn't even see where the end of it was.  We turned down a road and started taking the path of the tornado and I still just can't even explain it.  I did take some pictures but the pictures don't even do it justice.  I can't even imagine what these people went through on Wednesday night and what they are going through now. 

I took some of them with my cell phone so they are a little blurry.

Now back to Madison's appointment.  We saw a neurosurgeon today.  I knew when this appointment was scheduled by our genetic doctor that I should question why we were seeing a neurosurgeon and not a neurologist.  I knew today that I should have gone with my gut because today was pretty much a wasted appointment.  He didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know and he questioned as well why we were referred to him and not a neurologist.  I know now that I should always go with my gut and not second guess myself.  The good news is that he did go over discs from previous MRIs and examined her and didn't see any need for us to continue to see him.  We will see our genetic doctor on Wednesday and talk to her about it and see if there was a mistake made when they scheduled the appointment. 

Tomorrow we will be seeing the nutritionist and the orthopedic doctors.  Wednesday is our busy day with genetic, cardiology and pulmonary. 

Thank you for keeping Madison and our family in your prayers.  We appreciate you all more than you know.  Please keep all the people that were hit by the tornado in your prayers as well.  After hearing the news that Osama Bin Laden was killed last night and seeing so many people helping one another up here, it sure makes my proud to be an American!!

Hobby Lobby hit by tornado





The Tide truck helping people was their clothes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update April and for the shocking pictures of the wreckage in Tuscaloosa. I bet it was shocking to see that kind of destruction. Praying your appointments go well today and boo on the one from yesterday. :( Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of y'all and praying for y'all!! Those pics are just shocking...so sad. I hope all the rest of the appts go really well!

    ReplyDelete