A Day in the Life of Madison

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 1 Birmingham

It is only Tuesday and it seems like this week has lasted forever. We left yesterday morning to come up to Birmingham.  I had pretty much packed everything Sunday night but just needed to pack the stuff we needed for Monday morning. I couldn't sleep at all Sunday night. My mind was racing thinking of things I needed to remember. Finally at 3:30 Monday morning, I woke Shane up and told him I was getting up. As soon as I snuck out of the bed, Shane moved over and snuggled with Madison. She has to be touching you while she sleeps. I turned on the baby monitor shortly there after only to hear Madison crying for Able (a.k.a me), and Shane saying, "Hold on, I'll go get Able." Well, as soon as I got in the room Madison yanked her oxygen off and started laughing. I guess it's safe to say that if I'm up, she's up!

I was actually thankful we were both up early. She had plenty of time to play in her walker and I wasn't rushed getting the last minute things packed. We left the house at 8:30 and pulled in to the hotel at 4:30. We had to get everything unloaded, eat dinner, and then check in at the hospital by 7:00.

I was very stressed about how the sleep study was going to go. We have attempted 3 in the past with only 1 going well. Our pulmonary doctor wants to do one once a year! God has a way of putting things into perspective. All the stress that I had been having and losing sleep over seemed minor when we got to the third floor of the hospital. As soon as we stepped off the elevator we saw the Critical Care waiting room. The room was packed and quiet and the look on those parents' faces said it all. My heart broke for all that were in there.  Suddenly my stress for this sleep study seemed minor.

I am thankful that the sleep study went well. Madison was such a trooper. She cried the entire time they were hooking everything up. We were able to sleep beside each other and we held hands all night. We will get the results of the study on Thursday when we meet with the pulmonary doctor. Today we met with the orthopedic and it was a good appointment. We were supposed to meet with a nutritionist at 2:00 but we we exhausted and my brain was fried. I canceled that appointment and we came to the hotel to nap. It was the best nap! Tomorrow we meet with the genetic doctor at 9:00. If she thinks we really need to see the nutritionist we will before we leave. At 10:30 we see the cardiologist and then at 3:15 we see the ENT. I will post updates tomorrow from those appointments. Thank you for all the phone calls and texts to check on us, but most of all thank you for all the prayers that you have said for our precious Madison. We love you all.

Last night before they got Madison all hooked up, we were able to FaceTime with Paul, Amy, and Aubrey.  We all enjoyed the laughs!




2 comments:

  1. SOOO sweet. Been sending prayers up like crazy these past few days and will continue to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear April,
    I am a friend of your sister's. She has shared so much about you and Madison that I feel like I know you! I've enjoyed the videos that Amy has shared of Madison. Her sunny disposition has brought smiles to more faces than you will ever know. I realize that this is a difficult time for you and your family. Bless your heart...God gives moms the strength to somehow "keep on keeping on," when we wonder how we will make it through the night. I want you to know that so many prayers are going up for your family right now. Prayers going up, and blessings coming down. There are many people, like myself, who you don't even know, who are diligently praying for good news for your precious Madison, and for a feeling of inner peace for you and everyone else in your family. I admire your strength, April. You are one special mommy!
    Love in Christ,
    Lynn Newby Davis

    ReplyDelete